[horde] postresql sessionhandler problem

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Wed Jan 10 12:19:11 PST 2007

Quoting COMBES Julien - CETE Lyon/DI/ET/PAMELA <julien.combes at i-carre.net>:

> Sometimes, maybe under connexions peak, horde become more and more
> slow to finally become inaccessible for some users and then for all
> users. Restarting apache doesn't help. The only thing which help is
> to restart postgresql.
>
> During the problem :
>  - it seems that there is many lock on the horde_sessionhandler database.
>  - all the tables on the postgreSQL's server (of horde and others
> applications which use this server) are working fine and respond
> correctly except the horde_sessionhandler table.
>  - the number of apache's processes increase quickly.

It'd be very helpful if you can figure out why the locks accumulate. I
wonder if locks get stale even after garbage collection sometimes? The
locks are row-level, not table-level, so that shouldn't be it. Is is
that a lot of row-level locks eventually slow things down for
everything?

> Or, Is there a better/other solution to share sessionhandler between server ?

I'd recommend taking a look at memcached.

-chuck