[horde] Run Horde on a cluster?

Kevin Konowalec webadmin at ualberta.ca
Fri Feb 2 10:15:41 PST 2007

I've currently got 12 front ends to horde.  The way I accomplish the
load balancing/round-robining is to put 2 boxes running openBSD in
front  of the cluster.  The boxes are set up to use CARP to listen
for the "webmail" address and then using pf it routes the incoming
connection requests to one of the 12 servers.  I use 2 openBSD boxes
because they dynamically keep state between them so if one fails the
other automatically takes over and the users are none the wiser.
It's pretty slick.  The only problem I've encountered is that the
CARP/pf combination can't tell if the machines they are routing to
are alive (which can cause problems if they're sending users to a
dead box).  I got around this by keeping all the machines in the
cluster in a table and every minute I check to see which ones are
alive and pop the ones that are down out of the table.  If users are
connected when those machines go down PF will route them to the next
machine when the one they were on is popped out of the rotation.

In terms of states I use memcached... that way it doesn't matter
which machine a user is on - and it doesn't matter if in the middle
of the session they get reassigned to a different server... they
never know the difference.

Kevin

On Feb 2, 2007, at 10:39 AM, Chris St. Pierre wrote:

> I've got two machines running Horde; currently, I just direct users to
> one or the other with a quick script.  I'd like, however, to use the
> same CNAME to access both of them with a poor man's round-robin DNS
> load balancer.
>
> To this end, I've set the cookie domain to '.nebrwesleyan.edu' (the
> domain of both machines).  I've also set both to use the MySQL session
> handler, so they can draw their session information from a common
> database.
>
> What more do I need to do to make this work?  Currently, logins to
> either server work, but sessions don't transfer to the other server.
> I'm not even sure what debugging tools to use; most of the various
> cookie viewer Firefox extensions I've tried have been of little to no
> use.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chris St. Pierre
> Unix Systems Administrator
> Nebraska Wesleyan University

Kevin Konowalec
Web Systems Administrator
Academic Information and Communications Technologies (AICT)
University of Alberta

Phone:  (780) 492-3168
Fax:  (780) 492-1729

kevin.konowalec at ualberta.ca

This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which
it is
addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and/or privileged
information.  Please contact us immediately if you are not the intended
recipient of this communication.  If you are not the intended
recipient of
this communication, do not copy, distribute, or take action on it. Any
communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be
deleted or
destroyed.