[horde] Need IMAP and LDAP/misc. Recommendations

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Fri May 11 13:54:11 UTC 2007

Hello Vadim,

Friday, May 11, 2007, 4:45:13 PM, you wrote:

> Would either, or one, of these be preferred over another say?

> Thank you again Vilus.

> .vp

>> > 1.  I've used two different IMAP servers, one, dovecat, took forever to
>> > log
>> > me in because it had to re-index all of the directories and files
>> > contained
>> > within my home directory.  The one that I am currently using, Cyrus I
>> > believe, shows all of my home-dir files as well, none of which are
>> > email
>> > related.
>>
>>Cyrus and dovecot uses namespaces instead of folders. So if you can see
>>your home directories then your IMAP server is misconfigured most probably.

Depends on what you need. For advanced functionality (like virtual
domains, complex permissions, server side address books, etc.) I would
recommend Cyrus. dovecot is lighter and much younger project.

It's hardly to say which is faster because in mail systems performance
bottle-neck is usually MTA not IMAP server.

--
Best regards,
 Vilius