[horde] Strange login problem

Jason Clifton jason at citydiesel.net
Tue Jun 12 14:16:32 UTC 2007

This looks to me like a problem with memcached, I've seen other
situations where you get the same logon behavior when memcached runs
out of memory. Because memcached works on memory slabs it doesnt have
to actually be out of memory for you to see the out of memory problems.

I would try allocating more memory to it if you can, if not make sure
you are running the latest version, and if so then you may have to try
the facebook memcached patch, that was created to fix this issue. Oh
and make sure you are not running it with the -M switch (different
from -m).

Quoting Kevin Konowalec <webadmin at ualberta.ca>:

> You are correct, sir.  A glaring omission, for sure... sorry...
> running on 3 hours sleep ;)
>
> We authenticate via imp through imap.  The sessions are
> memcached-based.  I should also mention the problem occurs randomly.
>  Some days it doesn't happen to me at all, other days it'll happen 3
> times in a row.
>
> Thanks!

> On Jun 11, 2007, at 12:34 PM, Jason Clifton wrote:
>
>> It might be helpful if you told us what authentication method you are
>> using and what session driver...
>>
>> Quoting Kevin Konowalec <webadmin at ualberta.ca>:
>>
>>> Horde: 3.1.4
>>> Imp: H3 (4.1.4)
>>>
>>> Since transitioning to the new versions of horde and imp we have been
>>> getting more and more complaints about login problems.  When you
>>> enter in correct username and passwords and submit, horde will
>>> frequently spit you right back to the login page without any errors.
>>> It sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries to get logged in.  There isn't
>>> anything in the logs to suggest what's going on here.  Can anyone
>>> suggest a way to troubleshoot this?
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Jason Clifton