[horde] PHP APC

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Fri Jul 27 17:15:27 UTC 2007

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Andrew Morgan wrote:

> I recently upgraded our Webmail systems to the latest Horde/IMP/etc stable
> releases, and I have spent some time tuning the various pieces for
> performance.  We currently have 3 servers in a load balance pool:
>
> (3) Sun x4100, two dual-core 2.4GHz opteron 280, 4GB RAM
> Debian Etch (stable)
> Apache 2.2.3-4
> PHP 5.2.0-8+etch7
>
> During the daytime hours of peak usage, the load average hovers around 1.
> Thankfully this is only summer term!  When fall term approaches I'll need
> to make some improvements or the students will probably notice a slowdown.
>
> I'm looking at using a PHP accelerator to reduce the load and improve the
> performance further.  APC sounds like the way to go because it may be
> included by default in PHP6.  Does anyone have experience running APC with
> Horde with Debian Etch PHP5 packages?

FYI, I've been running APC in production now for about a week with no
problems.  It cut the load average in half on the Webmail servers and was
quite trivial to setup and use.  Here are the parameters I have set in
php.ini:

extension=apc.so
[apc]
apc.enabled=1
apc.shm_size=96
apc.ttl=7200
apc.user_ttl=7200
apc.mmap_file_mask=/tmp/apc.XXXXXX
apc.num_files_hint=1024
apc.enable_cli=1

Even 96MB for shm_size is a tad large.  64MB would probably be sufficient.

 	Andy