[horde] Ambiguous "Welcome," header

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 16:06:43 UTC 2007

On 8/16/07, Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org> wrote:
> Quoting D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com>:
>
> > We would like to address an ambiguity in the Welcome
> > header of horde+imp webmail.  At the top of horde webmail,
> > after logging in, it displays: "Welcome, user at server.domain.tld"
> >
> > This label causes the new student to believe their email is
> > user at server.domain.tld, while it is really user at domain.tld.
> >
> > I believe this is coming from templates/portal/menu.inc
> >
> >  <h1 class="leftFloat"><?php printf(_("Welcome, %s"),
> > htmlspecialchars($fullname)) ?></h1>
> >
> > I'd rather have this not display (easy), or continue to provide the
> > orientation
> > for those people with multiple accounts on multiple servers, but not
> > imply this is an email address.
> >
> > I think this would be less confusing:
> >
> > Welcome, user on imap_server_name
> >
> > Should I hack menu.inc to do that, or is there a Better Way?
>
> The better way is to create a preferences hook (see prefs.php.dist,
> hooks.php.dist, and the wiki for plenty of examples and documentation)
> to set their from_addr preference (their email) appropriately (and
> their fullname, if you have it somewhere).
>
> -chuck

Thanks for that.  In my case I don't have their full name.
I have set the config somewhere so that composed email
is set up with just the domain name, and that is OK as it is.

I decided to change two lines in menu.inc to quickly get a solution
as I have a bunch of other things on the burners:

 <h1 class="leftFloat"><?php
 $mylabel = str_replace("@", " on ", $fullname);
 printf(_("Welcome, %s"), htmlspecialchars($mylabel)) ?>
</h1>

This removes the @ and replaces it with "on" to imply only that this
is where the imap login is connected.  I'd think it might be a better default?
It would be more rare to have an email address which includes the
actual server name.

--Donald