[horde] Alarms in Portal view

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Oct 29 23:39:30 UTC 2007

Zitat von Bill Graham <grahamcw at hurleybulldogs.com>:

> My observation is that the alarm trigger only goes off then the
> entire  portal page is refreshed -
> there is no portal block that that causes the alarm to sound or popup -
> so - the result is the alarms won't notify the user if sits on their
>  portal page with an xmlhttpd capable browser.

Correct.

> Most of my users want to use their Horde world via their portal page.
> Either the calendar portal block will have to handle the alarms for
> calendar events or the whole page has to refresh -

Neither. If we have an xmlhttprpc capable browser, we should use this
feature to show alarms.
A patch would be great.

> I am not trying to make a fuss -
> But my users are not going to understand why they can sit on the
> portal and get alarms.
>
> I was thinking the alarm code might better go into the left menu -
> since it refreshes regularly. But then - it they turn that off -
> same  problem.

Calendar alarms are already displayed in the left menu.

> I think a xmlhttpd alarm block that is always present on the portal
> page may be necessary.

Not necessarily a dedicated block. It would sit there most of the time
doing nothing and wasting space.

>> Zitat von Bill Graham <grahamcw at hurleybulldogs.com>:
>>
>>> Using last nights snapshot 10/23/07 - php 5.2.4
>>>
>>> I am seeing strange behavior using kronolith alarms in portal view.
>>> It appears that the alarms will not "fire" - no sounds or alerts
>>> occur in normal pportal view. If I am in imp - the alarms will fire.
>>> What I surmized is that the alarm notification was tied to the
>>> portal frame refresh - and this was not being done - only the
>>> xmlhttpd refreshes were occuring in portal view.
>>> In horde/services/portal/index.php
>>> a decision is made if the browser supports xmlhttpdreq - and if it
>>> does - then do not refresh the portal frame.
>>>
>>> // Get refresh interval.
>>> if (($r_time = $prefs->getValue('summary_refresh_time'))
>>> && !$browser->hasFeature('xmlhttpreq')) {
>>> $refresh_time = $r_time;
>>> $refresh_url = Horde::applicationUrl('services/portal/');
>>> }
>>>
>>> By removing the not condition on the xmlhttpreq test -
>>> ie6/ie7/firefox all start refreshing the portal frame and the alarms
>>> fire.
>>>
>>> As an adjunct to this xmlhttpdreq test - other portal objects that
>>> depend on full frame updates do not get updated.
>>>
>>> I couldn't find anything in bugs on this -
>>> Any assistance or insights would be appreciated.
>>
>> It's not a bug. The idea is that only blocks that make sense being
>> refreshed are actually refreshed. And each block can specify its own
>> refresh interval.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/