[horde] [imp] memcache session tracking

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Nov 12 18:12:51 UTC 2007

Quoting Liam Hoekenga <liamr at deathstar.org>:

>>> Will the mecache session tracking allow me to get that sort of usage
>>> information?  If so, will it work across a pool of memcache servers?
>>>

>> Yes and yes.  When running the script, we check to make sure that all
>> sessions truly are active.  And we run the script using the same
>> memcache configuration as in horde/config/conf.php so it is querying
>> the same pool as everything else we do with memcache.
>>

> Since memcache items are just key / value pairs,  how do you iterate
> through the memcache sessions? Do you keep a list of them someplace?

Yes.  As conf.xml explains, there is a slight amount of overhead since
we need to store these keys at the beginning of a session in an
internal memcache key.  We also need to do garbage collection every so
often to keep the size of this lookup table down.)

> What are the chances this particular functionality could be back ported
> to the 3.0.x branch?  Is there anything specifically Horde 3.2ish about
> what it's doing? We had a failed upgrade to 3.1.x fall of 2006 and
> rolled back to our 3.0.x installation and let it sit there.  At this
> point, we're probably going to skip 3.1.x completely and move to 3.2.x.

Chances are low.  Memcache support (and a bunch of SessionHandler
support) has been completely rewritten for 3.2 - we use the new
framework everywhere.  However, most of the logic is contained in the
main files (framework/Memcache, framework/SessionHandler/memcache) so
it might be possible.

michael