[horde] Horde not working under https

Juan Manuel vicariousdm at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 16:28:00 UTC 2007

I've spent hours trying to fix this problem, it's driving me nuts.

Basically, I have a working Apache (2.2.6) on Gentoo and recently installed
horde and horde-imp. Everything went smoothly, until I got to the part where
I wanted to use only https on horde.

I'm using Postfix with Courier as a mail backend, and Horde authenticates
perfectly through IMAP.

Apache's SSL configuration is OK too. I'm currently using some rewrites for
phpmyadmin and roundcube in order to force https and they still work fine. I
also have the Subversion module with SSL and it works perfectly.

However, I first noticed that a simple rewrite on /horde didn't work. When
accessing www.mydomain.com/horde, it was http, not https (even when I
explicitly used https for the address). I did some googling and found out
that Horde has a special setting for SSL connections. So I changed the
relevant lines in horde/config/conf.php in order to allow SSL
($conf['use_ssl'] = 1; and $conf['server']['port'] = "443"; ). But then
whenever I entered my login information, Horde went back to the login screen
(like it cleared the username and password I had just entered); nothing on
horde.log, nothing on the apache logs. Absolutely nada.

When entering horde from IE6, it first enters as https (I get the IE
warning), but when the login screen appears, the address bar says "http" and
I get no signs of a secure connection. Upon clicking on log in IE says I'm
going to an unsecured page (but I thought I was already on one =/) and
redirects me back to the login screen, with the username and password field
blank again.

I am really going over my head on this. I have searched extensively horde's
mailing list and found nothing that pointed to this problem (not to mention
that the only problems with ssl/https I found on the mailing list dated a
few years back =/).

Am I missing something here? Reverting to Horde's default configuration
leaves me with a strangely forced http horde (even though it's set to
automatically detect SSL settings).

Any help on this subject is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance people!