[horde] Vacation setting...

Mike Peachey mike.peachey at jennic.com
Thu Jan 24 09:56:35 UTC 2008

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
>> Usually that means to do local delivery (final) to that address. Can
>> you be more specific about the errors you see?
>     ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
>      "|/usr/bin/vacation ashley"
>      (reason: Data format error)
>      (expanded from: <ashley at pcraft.com>)
>

>     As soon as I remove the back-slash, everything works as expected.
> E-mail arrives, vacation message gets bounced back to the sender, and
> everyone's happy.

This would seem to be simply a poorly-configure mail server. As Chuck
said, the standard method for doing direct delivery to a users mailbox
is to add their username prepended by a backslash in a
forwarding/delivery statement. Without the backslash, the username will
be checked against all the transport agents again.

E.G. /etc/aliases contains "ashley:anthony"
"ashley" would deliver to anthony
"\ashley" would deliver to ashley.

It's clear that your mailserver is not complaining about the backslash
per-se as it is complaining about the piped forward when a backslash is
present. I can only say you should check your mail server configuration,
or contact the relevant support channel for your mailserver software.
--
Kind Regards,

Mike Peachey, IT
Tel: +44 114 281 2655
Fax: +44 114 281 2951
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT, UK
Comp Reg No: 3191371 - Registered In England
http://www.jennic.com