[horde] Horde Handbook

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Wed Feb 6 17:32:32 UTC 2008

Quoting Josh Endries <josh at endries.org>:

> I just wanted to let everyone know, I've received multiple
> complains/requests from my users for better webmail documentation, so
> I've decided to write a handbook for Horde and some applications (IMP,
> Kronolith, Turba at least). I'm generally using the FreeBSD Handbook as
> a guide, which has proven invaluable to me and many others. It probably
> won't be an exhaustive list of everything you can do or change, but
> rather a basic reference for new users.
>
> For example: recently I had a user struggle with alarms in Kronolith.
> They thought the alarms would do something other than just send out an
> email...this document would explain what happens so they don't waste
> hours trying to get it working (coincidentally, the notification script
> has so few error messages I couldn't figure out why it wasn't sending
> the email notifications in a reasonable amount of time).
>
> If people want to help, that's cool, otherwise it will just take longer.
> It's in the very early stages now (aka, I picked a title). :) I'm
> planning on using DocBook, which is what the FreeBSD Handbook uses, and
> I found LyX which is a pretty nice DocBook editor. I've never done this
> before so I hope it turns out well!
>
> I'll have an SVN site set up soon.

If you're really motivated we can get you access to the hordedoc CVS
module (http://cvs.horde.org/hordedoc/) instead. :) We have a bare
minimum of docbook docs available, and I started converting the
developer docs over to a more modern docbook-xml setup a bit ago. I'd
would LOVE for this to get more steam, on either the user, admin, or
developer sections.

There is also a mailing list for Horde documentation
(doc at lists.horde.org) that's pretty unloved. Feel free to post here or
there about this.

I don't know how much time I have, but I'll do everything I can to
help you get this rolling - it's been a need for far too long.

Regards,
-chuck