[horde] Switching from commercial product, trying to reproduce a few features.

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sun Feb 10 15:53:57 UTC 2008

Quoting corky peavy <corky at peavys.net>:

> sorry for previous incomplete post...
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to switch from a commercial mail server and attempting to
> avoid losing functionality.  I experimenting with a postfix/mysql
> backend and horde on the web interface.  A few things that may ? be
> framework related I'm trying to do.
>
> 1) Forwarding and copying.  My users are accustomed to being able to
> give a string of addresses which can either get copies of all email or
> just do forwarding.

There is a "Forwards" application/module that enables this. See
http://horde.org/forwards  or even better, http://horde.org/sork -
which contains the forwards module as well as a "Passwd" and
"Vacation" module.

> 2) Changing password.  Can you change your password in horde w/o help
> from a sysadmin?

The short answer is "Yes".  The long answer is, it depends on what
Horde is authenticating against.  You mention you are using a
postfix/mysql backend.  It's possible to have horde and postfix share
the same authentication tables, so this *should* be possible with your
setup.

> 3) Ability of admin to add/remove accounts.  Does horde have an
> interface to allow an admin user to do this?

Again, the short answer is "Yes"....and it depends on the
authentication method horde is using.  Horde supports a multitude of
authentication backends, and it's not always possible for horde to
manage the users itself.  As above, though, if your using some sort of
SQL authentication, it should be possible. You might have to use some
sort of custom queries if your using user tables other than Horde's
default, but Horde allows for that directly in the administration
interface.

I think I remember someone on the mailing list a while ago (or it
might have been IRC) that set up the same thing you describe
above...if they are still listening maybe they can chime in here with
their experiences.

Thanks,
mike

--