[horde] horde import and export

Otto Stolz Otto.Stolz at uni-konstanz.de
Mon Feb 11 14:15:07 UTC 2008

Hello Seppo Laukkanen,

Toomas Aas has written:
> There is no "general Horde export/import
> module" which would export "all the stuff" from the old server and import
> it to the new server.

However, there are user-commands to export/import
- all messages contained in a folder,
- all contacts contained in an addressbook.

So, if you do not succeed in porting all data from
the old Webmail installation to your new one, you
could still advice your users how to export their
messages (though folderwise) and their contacts
and import them to the new system.

Preferably, you could try to port all user data,
en bloc, from the old ystem to the new one, as
discussed already by Toomas Aas, and others. This
would also comprise the preferencies which (as
far as I know) cannot be exported via Imp’s
user interface.

In this case, you may wish to remove, or modify,
particular preferences that do not comply with
your new (possibly changed) policy. E. g., if
you wish to confine your users to one single
method of deleting messages (in order to have
less advisory overhead), you could lock the
'use_trash', 'use_vtrash', and 'empty_trash_menu'
preferences to value=>0; in this case, you would
remove the individual preferences with these names
from the ported users’ database.

Good luck,
    Otto Stolz