[horde] iCal 2.x sends iCalendar data as application/octet-stream

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Feb 14 16:48:58 UTC 2008

Zitat von Ryan Steele <rsteele at archer-group.com>:

> Hey list,
>
> I couldn't figure out why my Tiger clients were having problems
> publishing to Kronolith, until I realized after WireShark'ing the
> traffic that the version of iCal on Tiger sends the data out as
> application/octet-stream instead of text/calendar.  I know the easy
> answer is "have those clients upgrade to Leopard", but that's a tougher
> sell in reality.  I'd like to ask the Horde hackers out there:

I'm sure we discussed this already somewhere. Did you check the
mailing list archives and bug tracker? I don't remember the outcome.

> 1. Is it even possible to tweak Kronolith to accept
> application/octet-stream?

In lib/api.php, yes.

> 2. What are the possible risks with doing so?

That any client might send any data with this content type. Since we
don't know the content type we can't determine how to parse the data.
For iCal we know (or guess) that it's text/calendar data, but any
other client might send a different content.

> 3. Has a solution (rather, a hack to accommodate a fault in iCal 2.x)
> been considered/implemented since 3.2RC-1?

No. I could imagine checking the $browser object if we have iCal on
the wire, though this is indeed a hack. But I don't know a better
solution at the moment.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/