[horde] Horde framework for a large Web based project and more ...

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Mon Feb 25 04:06:12 UTC 2008

Quoting Ralf Lang <ralf.lang at solesystems.de>:

> - When I use the Horde Library slideshows as a kind of tutorial on horde
> coding, I have to click through a huge block of marketing blah blah. I know
> these slideshows have been made for presentations and not for reference. But
> it would be cool to have stripped-down "just beef" editions of these slides
> that leave out the "what is horde - buy horde - eat more horde" section.

Well, this is the idea of the developer docs -
http://dev.horde.org/routes/, etc.

> - I personally didn't find the Rdo-related talk useful. Rdo might have been
> the perfectly right tool for what I now do in custom code, but I simply
> didn't get the critical point in a reasonable amount of time.

Can you say more about this? What kind of custom code did you come up
with that is in the same problem domain?

> - The templates-related documentation is a little short and
> simplified. When I
> look into the code of existing horde apps, it seems like a completely
> different business.

Well, yes, because we've gone through a few generations of templating
styles. For Horde 4 and PHP 5 apps, the way to go is Horde_View, a
pretty simple view pattern with helpers.

> - Some code snippets in the wiki are confusing, because it's not clear where
> in the structure of a horde app they could be put and just work and where
> not. A colleague of mine got mad at the File::PDF thing and said he would
> resort to another PDF library. I couldn't find what he made wrong so I dumped
> the code and wrote a part of code that finally worked the intended way. I'm
> sure it was just a missing dependency or something.

It'd be great to get specific pointers here on what you find confusing
so we can fix it.

-chuck