[horde] Last Login Problems

James S. Hayasaka jamesh at us.fujitsu.com
Mon Mar 31 21:48:37 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with the dreaded "Last Login: Never" symptom. I
checked the FAQ as well as chasing a number of red herrings, and I still
can't make it work. We're running horde 3.1.5 with imp 4.1.5.
Authentication is handled via IMP IMAP login, and preferences are stored
in LDAP. Everything works fine - users are able to set preferences,
create filters, etc. Their last login times just don't update. This is a
fresh installation, and we have not done any version migration - so the
issue with needing to delete any legacy hordePrefs: last_login
attributes is not applicable. (I deleted mine, and it was recreated with
the default "YTowOnt9" string the next time I logged in).

We have three front-end systems behind an f5 load balancer. Each mounts
the mail spool, and runs a local IMAP process (dovecot), as well as
running an LDAP instance that is updated from a master server (none of
the horde components are set up to use these local servers, but I
thought I would mention it). IMP for each host is set to authenticate
off of its local IMAP server. Preference updates write to the master
server, a separate non-load balanced LDAP server. As I said, all other
preferences seem to be fine. The fact that horde can create the default
"hordePrefs: last_login" attribute makes me think it's probably not an
LDAP ACL issue.

I've gone through the horde.log (no errors), the slapd.log (no
failures), and the httpd/error.log (no errors).

We're running:

RHEL 5 on all systems
horde 3.1.5-1.el5.centos from the CentOS-extras repository (installed
via 'yum groupinstall horde')
imp-h3-4.1.5-1.el5.centos
openldap 2.3.27
php 5.1.6

All stock RHEL 5, with the exception of the horde packages. Any help
would be appreciated, this problem is driving me nuts.

Cheers,

-James

James S. Hayasaka                             Senior Systems Engineer
Fujitsu America, Inc.                High Performance Computing Group
jamesh at us.fujitsu.com                                 (808)-934-41103