[horde] horde Digest, Vol 2040, Issue 1

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Thu Apr 10 14:53:00 UTC 2008

> > Quoting Olivier <oza-4h07 at myamail.com>:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I didn't find anything in IMP mailing list archives related to
> "Zimlet".
> >>
> >> For those not aware of Zimlets, Zimlets are embedded in Zimbra
> application
> >> to analyse emails content and add clickable HTML reference.
> >> For example, when a phone number is recognized within email sender's
> >> signature, its phone number can be dialed with a single click (see
> also:
> >> http://www.zimbra.com/products/zimlets.html).
> >>
> >> Email view remains almost unchanged up to the moment the user's mouse
> is
> >> rolling over a recognized pattern.
> >>
> >> Does any equivalent feature exist within Horde DIMP (as it heavily
> relies on
> >> AJAX) ?
> >
> > No.  (Not to mention it seems like a waste of development time and of
> > dubious value to be able to one-click a phone number on a computer.
> > But that's just me)

Yes I agree this can be debated.
Other examples from Zimbra include automatic link to UPS parcel tracking web
site, or Google maps.

IMHO, except for communication uses like click-to-call, click-to-chat and so
on, usefulness of these dynamic links depends on email content which is
different from one user to another.

So value of this heavily depends on users being able to edit themselves such
dynamic links according cost-benefit ratio.

Also, that being said, if you wanted to do something like this you
> should do it server side, not client side.

Of course.
Client side solution such as Greasemonkey exist but it can't cope with user
mobility, as far as I know.
Maybe Firefox 3.0 will help to "move" client scripts (along user
preferences) from one PC to another, as user logs in.

  In DIMP, at least, you can
> alter the message text however you want by using the messageview hook.

I'll take a close look.

michael