[horde] GIT-submodules for horde (was: Re: Using GIT for Horde?)

Thomas Koch thomas at koch.ro
Wed May 28 17:47:55 UTC 2008

Am Sonntag 25 Mai 2008 23:23:37 schrieb Chuck Hagenbuch:
[SNIP]
> However, here's a question that you or someone else might be able to
> answer that would go a long way towards us being able to migrate to
> GIT for Horde:
>
> With CVS, we can create this structure:
> horde/
>    imp/
>    turba/
>
> ... where horde, imp, and turba are all modules checked out from
> cvs.horde.org, where they are technically on the same level, but we've
> put imp and turba inside horde. And CVS will happily update all of
> these for us with a single cvs update command.
>
> It's pretty much impossible to emulate this with svn, which has put a
> wrench in our ideas about migration to it. Can we do this with GIT? If
> so, you might have a convert.
I think you can do it very well with svn externals. But since svn should be
history...

I added a git submodule for every horde module inside the horde/horde
repository. Now you can do:

git clone git://git.koch.ro/git/horde/horde
cd horde
git submodule init

foreach modules as MODULE // Only those you want to use
  git submodule update $MODULE      // checks out the module

Now there are some more things[1] to think about when actually developing, but
that's one way it could be done.

[1] http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitSubmoduleTutorial

Best regards,
--