[horde] How encoding works in horde?

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Thu Jun 5 13:30:04 UTC 2008

> > That's because Horde doesn't support any charsets on database level.
> What
> > you see through phpmyadmin is raw data. Check the this mailing list
> archives
> > (or was it i18n at lists.horde.org) for possible workaround and
> explanation.
>
> Hm, this one?
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.horde.user/18539

Yes this one. The second one is incorrect.

> But the solution here is ugly. It assumes my sql server is for one
> encoding only. It is sort of a hack.

No it doesn't. You are setting charset per connection not per server.

> This one solves nothing, well it tells only that phpmyadmin is not
> nice:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.horde.user/13214
>
> So still don't get it. Magic...
>
> But is the short answer: I'm doing everything fine (with horde/mysql)
> and the fact that phpmyadmin shows it wrong is not important?

Yes.

> I wonder why linux console/putty are showing those national characters
> ok? They are set to utf8. So why phpmyadmin (also set to utf8) does
> not?

Have you done "set names utf8" in mysql console when viewing the characters?
Because this is what phpmyadmin does. It set's connection encoding to the
charset on the database.

--
  Best Regards,

  Vilius Šumskas