[horde] Alarms

Kevin Konowalec webadmin at ualberta.ca
Mon Jun 23 02:02:51 UTC 2008

I've started playing with the horde global alarms system in 3.2.  It's
going to be a very useful tool.  However, there are a few things about
it that I'm not sure are intentional or not that make it slightly less
usable.

1.  Once you've set an alarm it is not viewable or editable unless you
look in the horde_alarms table.  It seems like the ability to change
an alarm once it's set would be a good thing to have.  It also would
make sense to me that if you have alarms set the "alarms" link in the
sidebar should have some sort of indicator, if only something like
"Alarms (1)" like mail has.

2.  What I think the alarms is best suited for is a user notification
system  (when the system is about to go down, etc.).  In that regard I
think it'd make more sense to have the alarm text in the notification
bar or popup and not just the notification title.  If there's detailed
instructions or whatnot that needs to be conveyed (especially
important in an emergency situation) it can't be done via the global
alarms system.  It would be a powerful addition if it could.