[horde] horde auth, crypt-md5, custom sql

Jozef Hamar hamar at jozef.name
Mon Aug 25 13:12:18 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I have Horde up and running with Imp and Ingo using imp authentication.
I was playing with Horde auth last week to authenticate users directly
against the mysql database so I'm able to configure my user accounts
directly from Horde.
I'm using crypt-md5 hashing algorithm in my database.

Now, from my debugging, for Horde the user is apparently authenticated
if "SELECT _criteria_" returns at least ONE record. The thing is,
crypt-md5 uses a salt. And Horde generates its own salt every time it is
making SELECT into database. This of course would fail.
Is there a way to setup Horde so it in the first step gets the salt from
the db and using this stored salt it would generate with crypt-md5 the
new actual hash which would be compared witch the stored hash?
In the way than postfix/courier/dovecot does it?

Of course, I can modify my desing and store my passwords in pure md5 or
sha1 way, but still... If there is a choise in Horde to use crypt-md5, I
think it can be done some way.

Thanks folks,

jh.