[horde] Users

horde at corwyn.net horde at corwyn.net
Mon Sep 15 21:51:20 UTC 2008

At 05:25 PM 9/15/2008, you wrote:
Or, and this is the real point, if you must use IMAP authentication, and
>want Horde to do management, migrate your users from passwd/shadow files
>to something that actually supports management (e.g., sql, ldap, etc)
>and configure Horde, IMP, and dovecot all to use that authentication
>method.  And voila, you're done. :)

I've never said I have to use IMAP auth, just that I know I currently
AM. I want to be able to manage users (add, remove, change passwd,
allow users to change passwd)

>And why not?  I've not seen a description of any problem, or a detailed
>setup description, just a "doesn't work" summary.  What doesn't work,
>what errors do you get, how did you configure it, etc.

My first post in this thread described what I had done (see Mon, 15
Sep 2008 14:55:33 -0400 ). My follow-on post described what I had
tried in response to another suggestion.

By not work, I mean at a baseline I can no longer log on via horde
(which I described previously as "authentication fails" - sorry if
that was unclear). As an extension, IF I try to manage users under
that circumstance, I get an error (see previous post).

>You can't manage users with file based systems.  So if you want to manage
>them via Horde, you need to (i.e., must) migrate the users to another
>backend.

OK, the first useful thing I've learned. I can't? sure would be nice
if horde mentioned that somewhere.

>>One reason is that the documentation for managing users via mySQL is
>>ALSO not very good/available. (a beginning to end instruction set).
>
>That is because there are hundreds of ways to do this.

Then it should be relatively simple to describe _a_ way. telling me
there are hundreds of ways without a pointer to even ONE way just
feels like I'm being mocked.

>You should
>first consult your IMAP server docs for what it supports, and follow
>those instructions.  Then configure Horde/IMP as needed based on the
>IMAP configuration needed.

You said earlier that IMAP with dovecot won't support managing users.
So that would also not be helpful.  Can you point me to something
that will explain how to use horde to manage users?

Rick