[horde] Users

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Sep 15 23:52:28 UTC 2008

Quoting horde at corwyn.net:

> At 05:25 PM 9/15/2008, you wrote:
> Or, and this is the real point, if you must use IMAP authentication, and
>> want Horde to do management, migrate your users from passwd/shadow files
>> to something that actually supports management (e.g., sql, ldap, etc)
>> and configure Horde, IMP, and dovecot all to use that authentication
>> method.  And voila, you're done. :)
>
> I've never said I have to use IMAP auth, just that I know I
> currently AM. I want to be able to manage users (add, remove, change
> passwd, allow users to change passwd)
>
>> And why not?  I've not seen a description of any problem, or a detailed
>> setup description, just a "doesn't work" summary.  What doesn't work,
>> what errors do you get, how did you configure it, etc.
>
> My first post in this thread described what I had done (see Mon, 15
> Sep 2008 14:55:33 -0400 ). My follow-on post described what I had
> tried in response to another suggestion.
>
> By not work, I mean at a baseline I can no longer log on via horde
> (which I described previously as "authentication fails" - sorry if
> that was unclear). As an extension, IF I try to manage users under
> that circumstance, I get an error (see previous post).
>> You can't manage users with file based systems.  So if you want to manage
>> them via Horde, you need to (i.e., must) migrate the users to another
>> backend.
>
> OK, the first useful thing I've learned. I can't? sure would be nice
> if horde mentioned that somewhere.

Do you mean besides giving you an error that it doesn't?  Granted, it
would be nice to have a nice thick instruction manual describing
everything, in every detail that you would ever want to know about
Horde, but that is wishful thinking.

Being sarcastic to people in the community that are volunteering their
free time to help you is just flat out wrong.  This is an open source
project and community that revolves around volunteers.

Perhaps if you feel so strongly about this documentation issue, you
would like to provide a patch to our documentation describing what
you've learned, or what you feel is missing...or if it's easier, you
could update one of the hundreds of documents on our wiki.  That would
be more in the spirit of an open source project.

Yes, documentation is a weaker part of our project (and indeed a large
percentage of open source projects) mostly because the minimal free
time that the developers have is spent writing code, fixing bugs and
answering email like this.

>>> One reason is that the documentation for managing users via mySQL is
>>> ALSO not very good/available. (a beginning to end instruction set).
>>
>> That is because there are hundreds of ways to do this.
>
> Then it should be relatively simple to describe _a_ way. telling me
> there are hundreds of ways without a pointer to even ONE way just
> feels like I'm being mocked.

Well, not without knowing your exact setup, no, it wouldn't be
easy...and which _one_ way do you want us to describe that would match
your needs?

>> You should
>> first consult your IMAP server docs for what it supports, and follow
>> those instructions.  Then configure Horde/IMP as needed based on the
>> IMAP configuration needed.
>
> You said earlier that IMAP with dovecot won't support managing users.
  > So that would also not be helpful.

Well, Dovecot *can* use SQL authentication...

   Can you point me to something
> that will explain how to use horde to manage users?

http://wiki.horde.org/FAQ/Admin/Config?referrer=FAQ%2FAdmin#

Thanks,
mike

--