[horde] Users

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Sep 16 02:39:40 UTC 2008

Quoting horde at corwyn.net:

>>> One reason is that the documentation for managing users via mySQL is
>>> ALSO not very good/available. (a beginning to end instruction set).
>>
>> That is because there are hundreds of ways to do this.
>
> Then it should be relatively simple to describe _a_ way. telling me
> there are hundreds of ways without a pointer to even ONE way just
> feels like I'm being mocked.

Yes, but it wouldn't be useful in most cases, so why?

I'd encourage you instead to inquire of your IMAP software support
people how to set it up.  And then simply configure Horde to match
(and IMP to use Horde authentication).

>> You should
>> first consult your IMAP server docs for what it supports, and follow
>> those instructions.  Then configure Horde/IMP as needed based on the
>> IMAP configuration needed.
>
> You said earlier that IMAP with dovecot won't support managing users.

Correct, but I also explained that if you setup dovecot to use SQL
(et al), then Horde can also use the same SQL to manage the users (without
going through dovecot to do it).

> So that would also not be helpful.

Yes, it would.

> Can you point me to something that will explain how to use horde to
> manage users?

Not until you tell me what you want to do.  Do you want to use SQL, or
LDAP, or something else?  Do you want to stick with dovecot, or would
you prefer another imap server?  Do you care if your users need to login
separately to Horde and IMP, rather than a single login?  What management
facilities are needed?  More questions that answers at this point.

If I can find the time, maybe I'll document some of this on the wiki.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

This message is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied.  Use this message at your own risk.