[horde] Users

horde at corwyn.net horde at corwyn.net
Tue Sep 16 03:03:29 UTC 2008

At 07:52 PM 9/15/2008, Michael Rubinsky wrote:
>Being sarcastic to people in the community that are volunteering their
>free time to help you is just flat out wrong.

sorry if you read it that way - it wasn't sarcasm.

>Perhaps if you feel so strongly about this documentation issue, you
>would like to provide a patch to our documentation describing what
>you've learned, or what you feel is missing...or if it's easier, you
>could update one of the hundreds of documents on our wiki.  That would
>be more in the spirit of an open source project.

And I typically do that, and have contributed to a number of open
source projects. But that involves me finally understanding it enough
to provide something useful, and well enough what I did that I can
actually explain it to someone else.

>Yes, documentation is a weaker part of our project (and indeed a large
>percentage of open source projects) mostly because the minimal free
>time that the developers have is spent writing code, fixing bugs and
>answering email like this.

My experience has been that developers can save a lot of time that
they spend answering questions by taking the time to answer it once,
and then add their answer to the documentation, thus decreasing the
overall number of questions.YMMV.

>Well, not without knowing your exact setup, no, it wouldn't be
>easy...and which _one_ way do you want us to describe that would match
>your needs?

Examples, even if they don't meet my needs, gives me somewhere to
start. Few to no examples make it hard to bootstrap myself into place.

>   Can you point me to something
>>that will explain how to use horde to manage users?
>
>http://wiki.horde.org/FAQ/Admin/Config?referrer=FAQ%2FAdmin#

"It's so configurable we can't possibly give you an example" negates
a lot of the utility that the very flexibility provides - so many
choices with no way to get anything working.

I had read this document before I started asking questions. You
really could cut out a lot of questions by defining a few basic ways
to configure authentication.  Heck, the authentication tab lists 5+
ways that aren't even mentioned there. An example for each would be
wildly useful. mySQL I suspect most so given the questions I've found
on line on the same topic.

I've added your basic instructions you added to the wiki listed above.

Mike, I appreciate the help, and I might have enough now to bootstrap
myself into usefulness, we'll see.   thanks

Rick