[horde] Memcache server questions

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Nov 18 17:36:02 UTC 2008

Quoting Kevin Konowalec <webadmin at ualberta.ca>:

> Thanks for the info Michael!
>
> I'm hoping the patches you provided earlier will address our
> disappearing session problem... I'm getting a fair bit of heat about
> that one.
>
> When using servers with large amounts of RAM is it better to run
> large instances of memcached or several smaller instances on each box?

Other than the fact that any dedicated memcache servers should be run
on 64-bit boxes at this point - it is way cheaper to run a 10GB+
process on a single box than to maintain multiple 32-bit boxes with
3GB memcache processes - I don't have too much insight.  Although
splitting a memcache process into multiple processes probably won't
gain you anything, and in fact might slow down things a bit (the
hashing/connection on the PHP side has to go through that many more
config entries to determine the correct server to query).  And, as
mentioned before, I don't believe the memcache process load is ever
going to be the limiting factor.

michael