[horde] Can't see messages in a folder

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Jan 30 19:15:02 UTC 2009

Quoting Andrew Morgan <morgan at orst.edu>:

> On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, Marcelo Terres wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> There is an user that have a folder with 9893 messages (1.8Gb). When we try
>> to open this folder in Horde, after about 30 seconds, the folder appears
>> like empty.
>>
>> Is there some kind of limit of messager per folder, or something that I must
>> configure to correct this question ?
>
> Your IMAP server may not be able to return the list of messages in less
> than 30 seconds (probably your PHP max_execution_time limit).  Someone
> else mentioned that this can happen if the user selects an alternative
> sort order for their mailbox, instead of the default sort order (arrival
> time).

FWIW, this also has a lot to do with the PHP c-client IMAP module
being horribly inefficient when it comes to parsing message
lists/handling large mailboxes.  I have noticed drastically improved
navigation times in IMP 5 with the new IMAP code.  For example, in the
dimp view with my Trash folder (35,000+ messages), scrolling to
another section of the viewport (non-cached) takes about 1.5 seconds.
Granted, I am the only user on my dual-core server, but moving through
a mailbox using IMP 4 code takes significantly longer on my system (10
seconds at least).

michael