[horde] Bottleneck ? CPU or HDisk IO or RAM

Linux Advocate linuxhousedn at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 03:56:07 UTC 2009

Andy,

A. supposing its two boxes of Dual Core Dual Xeons, 8GB RAM and 7.2k rpm 750 GB SATA
disks ( 6  or more ) in a RAID10, i.e one for horde, one for imap/pop/webmail ,will the 7.2k rpm sata drives cut it ? since imap is hard disk i/o intensive ( as mentioned in one of the posts here ) ?

B. ok,, i will enable memcache and experiment and report back. i have never used it before.

C. What hardware do u use and how many users do u handle?

> > Guys, just wondering. For a horde groupware webmail edition, what will be the
> bottleneck if there are about 1000 users? The CPU ? or the HDisks?
> >
> > Will a new box with Dual Core Dual Xeons, 8GB RAM and 7.2k rpm 750 GB SATA
> disks ( 6 )  be sufficient? Anybody here got some sample specs of some running
> machines with the groupware?
>
> Horde itself will be limited by memory and CPU, assuming your IMAP server is
> running on a separate server.  The specs you list above should be a good
> starting point for Horde, depending how you tune it.  I recommend memcache as
> your session storage backend for Horde.
>
>     Andy

regards,
marco