[horde] mime magic and application association: get rid of mime magic?

LALOT Dominique dom.lalot at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 15:12:22 UTC 2009

Hello,

I sent to myself an email with an attach file of an excel document ".xls". I
have no M$soft office product, so I generate that file from an oOo
spreadsheet. Guess what? Mime type is:
application/msword

I suppose that the fact of using mime magic, we are not looking at the
extension, but rather at some strings/bytes inside the file.
1. it's wasting a little CPU
2. don't see if it's very usefull

http://wiki.horde.org/MimeMagic confirmed that excel type could be wrong. I
have a setup with the php extension fileinfo.so

If we just want to rely only on file extensions, what should we do? Is it a
good idea?

Thanks

Dom
--