[horde] horde dyndns googlemail

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Apr 15 17:04:25 UTC 2009

Quoting cozmo <c_o_z_m_o at gmx.de>:

> Hi all,
>
> I just have a general question about Horde. I wanted to use it because of
> all the extensions (calendar, email, memo) from all over the world.
>
> My Idea was to use it as a mobile office which I can access from everywhere.
>
> To realize this I installed it on a lamp system at home. As I have no static
> IP I use Dyndns to access it.
>
> Now comes my question. What is the best way to set it up from the Email
> perspective.
>
> 1. Should I install an Email Server on my linux machine?
> 2. Is it possible to use i.E. googlemail, gmx e.g. as underlying Email
> plattform for Horde?

Setting up an email server on your local network is certainly an
option, and is what I, personally, do...but I have both experience and
other reasons for doing so. However, you mention that you do not have
a static ip address - which leads me to believe you are on a "consumer
grade" internet connection. You should first check with your provider
to see if this is allowed, or even possible without breaking your TOS
agreement. A number of providers will block the ports commonly used
for SMTP traffic. Not to mention the fact that if you use a local SMTP
server, you will likely experience bounces, as your ip address will be
on a number of black lists.

As far as it being possible to use with gmail etc... Off hand I would
say as long as the server is IMAP server it *should* work, but I do
remember some questions on the mailing list about IMP working properly
with gmail.

> I installed HORDE already but if i go to myserver.dyndns.org/horde I cannot
> login. I dosen't know my username - password. I suppose it is because I have
> not installed the underlying email plattform.

There are numerous ways to set up authentication to Horde. Using IMAP
(or application/imp) authentication is only one of them.

Thanks,
mike

--
The Horde Project (www.horde.org)