[horde] horde dyndns googlemail

Sebastian Wahsner c_o_z_m_o at gmx.de
Wed Apr 15 21:14:26 UTC 2009

Hello thanks first of all thanks for the information.

On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 19:54 +0200, Florian Brandner wrote:
> Moin!

> My application is maybe similar: A (german) consumer internet
> connection, dyndns, horde (plus IMP, kronolith...) mostly for my own
> personal use.
> I tried different setups, and personally I think the most flexible one
> is installing a local email server in combination with fetchmail for
> receiving mails. So you're not running a "real" internet email server
> and don't have any problems with IP Blacklisting, possible port
> blockings, TOS violations etc.

Yes your application is exactly the same. German consumer internet for
personal use.
I got it working with googlemail but only to receive email.

If I try to send emails i have to use smtp. The problem is that
googlemail needs TLS authentication. I cannot find any way to activate
this. In the FAQ of horde is written that you can use only the same
login as your imap/pop has. Any idea?

> > As far as it being possible to use with gmail etc... Off hand I
> > would say as long as the server is IMAP server it *should* work, but
> > I do remember some questions on the mailing list about IMP working
> > properly with gmail.
>
> IMP should be able to connect GMail directly if you activate
> IMAP-Support in you GMail-Settings, I think it is disabled by default.
>
> But I am not sure how the gmail webinterface currently handles the
> imap-folders, at least some time ago this caused some hassle. If you're
> not using gmails webinterface and handle all your mails with IMP
> instead it should work fine.

> But in that case you maybe should fetch
> all your gmail-mails with fetchmail using POP3 and let IMP handle
> everything else. At least that is my setup and it works fine for months
> now :-)

In this case you set up a local email server and you collect all your
emails from the different accounts ? How do you send emails ? Via
your gmail account or through your mailserver?
Can you provide some further information about the setup?

Thanks a lot for all your information!

Kind regards
SePp