[horde] horde dyndns googlemail

Florian Brandner florian at brandner.net
Thu Apr 16 07:43:13 UTC 2009

Moin!

> If I try to send emails i have to use smtp. The problem is that
> googlemail needs TLS authentication. I cannot find any way to activate
> this. In the FAQ of horde is written that you can use only the same
> login as your imap/pop has. Any idea?

Not really... I tried connecting IMP to gmail directly once, but I
dont think I also tried if sending works.

> In this case you set up a local email server and you collect all your
> emails from the different accounts ?

Exactly. I wanted to be able to use regular email-programs like
Thunderbird and Claws as well as the build-in Mail-client of my Nokia
Cellphone.

> How do you send emails ? Via your gmail account or through your mailserver?

Well, both :) When I send an email using IMP or a email-program, the
email is send to my local mailserver. There it will be processed by
postfix and send to the mailserver of my provider, which could be gmail.

> Can you provide some further information about the setup?

Sure. Fetchmail fetches the emails from my email providers and sends
them to my IMAP-Server called Cyrus. A component of Cyrus, called
sieve, filters the emails and sorts them into the folders. For the
configuration of sieve I use the Horde-Module "Ingo". For sending
emails I use the SMTP-Server postfix.
IMP connects to my local IMAP-Server for receiving and to my local
SMTP for sending emails. So basically IMP doesn't know anything about
the "real" email account. It will use the local account, postfix takes
care of everything else.

The setup sounds maybe a bit difficult, but there a a lof of very
helpful HowTos for setting up Cyrus and Postfix floating around the
web. I think it took me a day for setting up everything, much faster
than I expected...

And I can really recommend that setup, at least for applications
similar to my own. Sieve is great for filtering, and IMP is really
nice as a frontend for emails. I always wanted to document my setup on
my homepage. Maybe it's time now to do this now... :)

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen,
Florian Brandner

WWW:    http://www.brandner.net