[horde] Horde/Kronolith Email Reminders Random Behaviour

Robert McAuley rmcauley at ca.afilias.info
Mon Apr 27 19:52:14 UTC 2009

Hello list,

I'm having some serious trouble getting email alarms working for me.  Everything worked fantastically - for about 2 days. I've followed the install and the wiki docs twice (VFS is working, etc.), gone over every Kronolith and Horde setting, and these are the two cron jobs I have setup as the wiki/install docs suggest:

*/5 * * * * /usr/bin/php /var/www/horde/scripts/alarms.php
0   2 * * * /usr/bin/php /var/www/horde/kronolith/scripts/reminders.php

I can run the scripts and no warnings or errors occur.  What happens as a result of running them is almost random.  I've seen the following scenarios:

- Daily agendas for users with "only from my calendar" reminders contain items from other users or shared calendars
- Reminders arrive a random amount of minutes late (5, 10, 20, 30, 60, no rhyme or reason)
- Reminders have recently stopped working completely, regardless of settings

Are there any recommended settings to make sure reminders work all the time, correctly?  Should I use SQL for VFS instead of the file system? (which Horde has read/write access to) Is there some newbie area of the docs that I overlooked, or am I possibly missing some common step to this?

--
Regards,

Rob McAuley
Systems Administrator, Afilias