[horde] permissions setting of maximum recipients and max emails over time period

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 14:33:55 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:36 PM, D G Teed<donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:
> I set up the pair of permissions settings in imp and was surprised to find I was
> blocking all email compositions because I didn't have something else configured
> in a completely different part of the administration interface (imp
> settings, Other
> Settings, Outgoing Email Logging).
>
> In the logs it showed, e.g.:
>
> Jun 11 17:05:52 HORDE [error] [imp] The permission for the maximum
> number of recipients per time period has been enabled, but no backend
> for the sent-mail logging has been configured for IMP. [pid 12431 on
> line 973 of "/usr/local/www/horde/horde-webmail-1.2.3/imp/lib/Compose.php"]
>
> There are a number of things that could be done about that issue.
> One would be to place a warning by the permission settings that they
> need to pick a backend.  Another would be to log to the horde.log
> file by default (what I wanted) and do not require a special backend.
> Either would be less disruptive to users when an admin picks what
> might seem to be a straightforward option to enable.
>
> Perhaps the database is needed to determine how many messages
> are sent over a time period.  Later I tried the SQL option but it
> still showed an error in horde.log about a backend not being configured.
>
> I'm working with horde webmail groupware edition 1.2.3.
>
> I've looked in the documentation and can't find info.  Any pointers?

I don't know what went wrong before.  Perhaps I had set up the Permissions
prior to the "Other settings" imp set up item "conf[sentmail][driver]"
and the error above was from prior to the imp configuration being
saved again.

I tried it again with the SQL driver in that conf setting and now it works.
The key is to set up the driver to SQL first, and then set up the permission.

It produces a nicely readable error on the interface, so people will understand
what happened.  I like.

My only other comment is regarding the default permissions setting for IMP.
I didn't know there were attributes for the imp parent permissions item.
By default it turns off all access for authenticated users.  I had no idea
why people couldn't access their mailboxes for 30 minutes.

--Donald