[horde] Install horde from scratch with a git/cvs

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Aug 20 15:44:04 UTC 2009

Quoting Robert McAuley <rmcauley at ca.afilias.info>:

> Jan Schneider wrote:
>>
>> That message is pretty clear. The place where you installed
>> Horde_Cli (the libs/ directory if you followed the howto) is not in
>> your include_path.
>>

> He has a point, actually, in that the docs (still!) don't work well.
>  I was working with Michael Rubinsky a short while ago,
> specifically, here:
>
> http://lists.horde.org/archives/horde/Week-of-Mon-20090803/037932.html
>
> You can see I had the same problem.  I haven't had a chance to
> return to trying to get a CVS install to work after this problem is
> solved/worked around, and Michael stopped replying, but I'm sure
> I'll have other problems.

I stopped replying because I answered the particular question and did
not receive any further questions. Additionally, the wiki was updated
after that email to correct the order the libraries are installed
since the Cli library was moved from CVS to Git.  The email you refer
to above is an answer to a different specific issue as you can see in
the quoted text - it's about the script not finding the src or dest
directories.

> Something is definitely missing from the docs.  At the risk of
> sounding arrogant, have you tried following them yourself?

Actually, yes. But most likely they don't fail in this manner since I
have the correct include_dir already set.

  If the
> aim is to have something that can be copy/pasted with very little
> (or no) modification required, they simply don't work.  If more is
> required (even something as simple as adding an include dir to
> php.ini), the necessary knowledge to do such things isn't even
> hinted at.

Actually it is hinted at - that's what the line starting with 'echo'
does. That line may need to be put earlier in the command sequence
though...try performing the echo command before the symlink commands
and see if that solves this particular problem.

While I appreciate the frustration at incomplete docs, please keep in
mind that this is very much still bleeding edge code. That, compounded
with the fact that we are in transition from one source code
repository to another makes setting up the development environment
somewhat tricky for some people. While we try to make every effort to
make installation of a development environment as close to (as you put
it) "copy and paste" as we can - we do expect a certain level of
ability from the people running bleeding edge code - like the ability
to set an include path in the php.ini file.

That being said, thank you for providing constructive feedback on what
does and what does not work so we may continue to improve the docs.

Thanks,
mike

--
The Horde Project (www.horde.org)