[horde] my plan for upgrading my horde install

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Aug 25 18:24:47 UTC 2009

  if you can forgive another posting, based on what i've read, this is
what i plan on doing to bring my horde installation on my new lenny
system up to date.  if what follows sounds insane, please warn me off
of it.

  as i mentioned, after i upgraded to lenny and apache2 and php5, i'm
not surprised to see some errors since that was a pretty major upgrade
of a lot of stuff all at once.  so what i want to do is install a
sibling directory of the latest horde and slowly build it up to
eventually duplicate what's there now.

  under the appropriate /var/www/... directory, there is a "horde"
directory where the user is directed by default.  i've downloaded and
unloaded horde-3.3.4 next to it, so now i have:

   horde/  horde-3.3.4/

which means that i can now *explicitly* go to the new install if i
want by adding the "horde-3.3.4" directory name at the end of the URL,
and it seems to take me there just fine.  doesn't run properly yet,
but it takes me there (i'm assuming to invoke the index.php file it
finds there).  so far, so good?

  that, of course, doesn't work, since all i've done is unload the
tarball, and i'm told that i have some missing or unreadable files:

  prefs.php
  conf.php
  mime_drivers.php
  nls.php
  registry.php

which is fine -- i was certainly expecting to have to do more work,
and i can now get into setting up those files.  everything sound good
so far?

  i'll try to set them up to reproduce the settings from the current
install, of course, and i'm assuming that i can point the new install
at the current horde table that's already in mysql -- i really want
the new install to take advantage of all the horde data that's been
stored all this time.

  does this sound sane?  all i want to start with is getting an
absolutely basic and up-to-date install running next to the existing
one, and copy/reproduce that config info to the point where folks can
log in.  after that, i'll have to add:

  gollem
  hermes
  imp
  jonah
  klutz
  ... etc etc, all the stuff in the old install ...

  thoughts?

rday