[horde] my plan for upgrading my horde install

mtecles at biof.ufrj.br mtecles at biof.ufrj.br
Tue Aug 25 19:41:25 UTC 2009

I don't know which Horde version you are using, but I think you
should not do it like this, some upgrades need intermediate versions.
Remember, upgrading means upgrading database also, not just replace
Horde files. The upgrades scripts are in Horde applications and they
are supposed to be used from one version to another.

I have upgraded from Horde 3.1.5 to Horde 3.3.3 (IMP 4.1.5 to 4.3.4).
You must read each horde/~/docs/UPGRADING from each intermediate
version from yours to the newest one.

Backup your database and Horde directory. Rename Horde directory,
download the following version of yours (Horde and applications),
read the UPGRADING docs, do the upgrade. Rename Horde directory,
download the next following version (Horde and applications), read
the UPGRADING docs, do the upgrade. Repeat this for each version
until the newest.

Again, do it on a test server and take note of every step.

I will send you a file with the steps I followed to upgrade.

Mauricio

On 25 Aug 2009 at 14:24, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   if you can forgive another posting, based on what i've read, this is
> what i plan on doing to bring my horde installation on my new lenny
> system up to date.  if what follows sounds insane, please warn me off
> of it.
>
>   as i mentioned, after i upgraded to lenny and apache2 and php5, i'm
> not surprised to see some errors since that was a pretty major upgrade
> of a lot of stuff all at once.  so what i want to do is install a
> sibling directory of the latest horde and slowly build it up to
> eventually duplicate what's there now.
>
>   under the appropriate /var/www/... directory, there is a "horde"
> directory where the user is directed by default.  i've downloaded and
> unloaded horde-3.3.4 next to it, so now i have:
>
>    horde/  horde-3.3.4/
>
> which means that i can now *explicitly* go to the new install if i
> want by adding the "horde-3.3.4" directory name at the end of the URL,
> and it seems to take me there just fine.  doesn't run properly yet,
> but it takes me there (i'm assuming to invoke the index.php file it
> finds there).  so far, so good?
>
>   that, of course, doesn't work, since all i've done is unload the
> tarball, and i'm told that i have some missing or unreadable files:
>
>   prefs.php
>   conf.php
>   mime_drivers.php
>   nls.php
>   registry.php
>
> which is fine -- i was certainly expecting to have to do more work,
> and i can now get into setting up those files.  everything sound good
> so far?
>
>   i'll try to set them up to reproduce the settings from the current
> install, of course, and i'm assuming that i can point the new install
> at the current horde table that's already in mysql -- i really want
> the new install to take advantage of all the horde data that's been
> stored all this time.
>
>   does this sound sane?  all i want to start with is getting an
> absolutely basic and up-to-date install running next to the existing
> one, and copy/reproduce that config info to the point where folks can
> log in.  after that, i'll have to add:
>
>   gollem
>   hermes
>   imp
>   jonah
>   klutz
>   ... etc etc, all the stuff in the old install ...
>
>   thoughts?
>
> rday

> Robert P. J. Day                               Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
>
>         Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry.
>
> Web page:                                          http://crashcourse.ca

Mauricio J. T. Tecles
Instituto de Biofisica Carlos Chagas Filho - UFRJ
Edificio do Centro de Ciencias da Saude, Bloco G
Av. Carlos Chagas Filho, 373
Cidade Universitaria, Ilha do Fundao
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Brasil