[horde] recommendation on using debian packages instead of tarball?

Roberto Maurizzi roberto.maurizzi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 07:07:24 UTC 2009

2009/8/26 Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>

>  a question related to my earlier post on upgrading from 3.0.9 to
> 3.3.4 -- would it have made things easier if horde had been installed
> via debian packages rather than just unloading the tarball?

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere on the web (or inside the debian
packages) a warning that upgrading to a different version isn't supported
(and I quite understand them: while a standard install is easy, things do
get quite complex if you go i.e. with LDAP preferences, different DBs,
etc.).
So chances are that on upgrades Horde stops working even if you don't get a
new PHP.
That could have changed since I looked at this more than a year ago, but
between this and unavailability of packages of the newer Horde versions, it
convinced me to go with the official tar.
For a new installation I'd consider using the Groupware or Webmail editions,
since they should be easier to upgrade.

Ciao,
  Roberto