[horde] Empty tables regurlarly

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Wed Aug 26 08:29:20 UTC 2009

> > Quoting lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de:
> >
> >> Is there any maintenance going on for the potentially large tables
> >> like horde_histories and horde_syncml_map ?
> >>
> >> What is the proper way of purging/aging out for this tables?
> >
> > For horde_histories, there isn't.  But that's the whole point of a
> > table storing archived data.  Once you start purging, you destroy
> > the reason why the table exists in the first place.
> >
> > michael
>
> Not really. The table is useful for finite historie eg. for SyncML but
> every system with always in and never out is doomed to fail some time
> in the future. I guess you also use logrotate on your machines, don't
> you.
> We don't have a problem with this today but i can imagine this can get
> you in trouble on a aging installation with thousands of busy users
> doing SyncML with all sort of devices.

This is not how databases work. It doesn't really matter how much data (e.i.
rows) you have in the table. If the application programmed correctly and
database structure and setup done right it will always work fast. Database
doesn't need to go through all the rows to return 10 of them. Here we have
15years old of data in our Oracle db with more than 15bilion rows in one
table, but queries run just as fast as before. The magic of indexes :)

If on the other hand you are seeing slowness in SyncML because of big
history table, then SyncML code needs to be fixed, not the other way around.

Just my 0.02euro.

--
  Best Regards,

  Vilius Šumskas