[horde] Empty tables regurlarly

lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de
Wed Aug 26 09:15:57 UTC 2009

Zitat von Vilius Šumskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:

>> Not really. The table is useful for finite historie eg. for SyncML but
>> every system with always in and never out is doomed to fail some time
>> in the future. I guess you also use logrotate on your machines, don't
>> you.
>> We don't have a problem with this today but i can imagine this can get
>> you in trouble on a aging installation with thousands of busy users
>> doing SyncML with all sort of devices.
>
> This is not how databases work. It doesn't really matter how much data (e.i.
> rows) you have in the table. If the application programmed correctly and
> database structure and setup done right it will always work fast. Database
> doesn't need to go through all the rows to return 10 of them. Here we have
> 15years old of data in our Oracle db with more than 15bilion rows in one
> table, but queries run just as fast as before. The magic of indexes :)

The fact that you *can* do it today should not be a excuse if it
doesn't make sense and it *may* lead to trouble. I fail to see why one
can need add/modify/delete records from years ago and users left a
long time already.
Good housekeeping is never wrong.

> If on the other hand you are seeing slowness in SyncML because of big
> history table, then SyncML code needs to be fixed, not the other way around.

As said we don't have trouble until now but i like to know in advance
before we bring features to broder public.

Regards

Andreas