[horde] Authentication on Red Hat style systems

Luis Felipe Marzagao lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 13:38:44 UTC 2009

Hello, I'm the author of this howto on CentOS 5:

http://wiki.horde.org/CentOS5InstallationNotes

As you can see, I use dovecot (imap server) as authentication system.
It's quite simple and I don't have to mess with anything. But yes, of
course my users are created via adduser, system-config-users, because my
imap server is in the same machine as horde installation. Maybe dovecot
can manage other authentication methods, like mysql, ldap etc. and I
can't see why you can't configure IMP to look for your imap server
located on another machine (alter horde/imp/config/servers.php).

$servers['imap'] = array(
     'name' => 'IMAP Server',
     'server' => 'localhost', <--------
     'hordeauth' => true,
     'protocol' => 'imap/notls',
     'port' => 143,
//    'maildomain' => 'example.com',
//    'smtphost' => 'smtp.example.com',
//    'smtpport' => 25,
//    'realm' => '',
//    'preferred' => '',
);

Another recommendatio is to donwload horde from the website or via cvs.
The rpm packages sometimes are not updated.

Cheers,
Luis Felipe