[horde] Authentication on Red Hat style systems

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Sep 21 02:10:42 UTC 2009

Quoting Ken Smith <kens at kensnet.org>:

> I'd appreciate hearing from other Horde users on RedHat style
> systems (RHEL, Centos or Fedora) as to which option they have used
> for Horde authentication.

Since I run Horde+IMP and want single-sign-on for Horde+IMP+the-rest,
I use IMP authentication with Horde, and IMAP authentication within IMP.

If not, since my users are in LDAP now, I'd use LDAP.  But since I have
IMP running, and IMAP running, I just use that.

> but my IMAP server is on another machine.

Shouldn't matter per se.  My IMAP server is on another machine also.

> I'd like to try to get auth working locally

Why?  Are you not using IMP also?

> So that if the IMAP server is down/inaccessible then its only that
> service that is broken.

Okay, I suppose that is reasonable.  For us, the #1 used app is IMP,
and if the IMAP server is down I'm in hot water anyway, so it makes
since for me.

> I've seen the various howto's on the wiki for Centos4 & Fedora (2 I
> think it was) but the details become scarce when it comes to auth
> configuration. The mailing list hasn't discussed this issue for
> RedHat derived systems recently.

Well, it really depends on your setup.  I'd use LDAP, but that probably
doesn't help you any.  I've never worried about anything other than
ldap or imap...

You could try ftp for local authentication, by binding a ftp server (vsftp)
to localhost (127.0.0.1).  Maybe the "login" driver works with shadow
setup?  Other than that, no idea...

> Suggestions most welcome.

Sorry I can't help more...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

This message is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied.  Use this message at your own risk.