[horde] Login Problem with Horde Groupware Mail 1.2.4

Toralf Kirsten tkirsten at izbi.uni-leipzig.de
Sun Oct 11 13:55:00 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I recently downloaded the Horde Groupware Webmail Version 1.2.4 (as of
Sept. 2009) and installed the software on a Linux box using the eisfair
OS (a very small Linux OS without X). PHP, Apache web server, and a
MySQL DBMS are already running on this machine; my content management
system works very fine with support of these software. The Horde
installation process runs through without any error. To configure the
Horde system and database I used the setup.php script as described in
the installation instructions. Furthermore, I created a virtual host in
the Apache web server for the Horde Groupware system and linked the
Apache htdocs dir to the Horde directory. The test.php page says YES for
most of the entries, some entries are marked with NO and warnings, which
I list below:
- PHP GeoIP support
- magick Library
- LZF Compression Support
- memcached Support (memcache)
- MIME Magic Support (fileinfo)
- PostgreSQL Support
- memory_limit value: 64M (Here there is just a warning saying that at
least 64M is recommended for this property)

I can access the home page (including the login, password, language, and
mode select boxes) of the installed Horde system. However, whenever I
try to login with an OS user which is also a mail user, the Horde system
prints the following message on the screen:
----
*Warning*: require_once() [function.require-once
<http://webmail.my-web-page.org/imp/function.require-once>]: Couldn't
resolve host name in
*/data/opt/horde-webmail-1.2.4/lib/Horde/Share/sql.php* on line *683*
*Warning*: require_once(Horde/Group.php) [function.require-once
<http://webmail.my-web-page.org/imp/function.require-once>]: failed to
open stream: operation failed in
*/data/opt/horde-webmail-1.2.4/lib/Horde/Share/sql.php* on line *683*
*Fatal error*: require_once() [function.require
<http://webmail.my-web-page.org/imp/function.require>]: Failed opening
required 'Horde/Group.php'
(include_path='/data/opt/horde-webmail-1.2.4/lib:/data/opt/horde-webmail-1.2.4/lib/../pear/php')
in */data/opt/horde-webmail-1.2.4/lib/Horde/Share/sql.php* on line *683*
----
However, I have not modified this file so far. Since the shown error
sounds that there is an possibly an database access problem I checked
this. Using the MySQL user which is set in the Horde configuration I can
access the local MySQL DBMS (server is set to localhost, port=3306) and
the Horde database as well. The Horde database contains some tables that
have been generated in the Horde installation process.

In the horde.log I can see the following message
----
Oct 11 15:00:08 HORDE [error] [] Guest user is not authorised for
Address Book. [pid 16411 on line 1706 of
"/data/opt/horde-webmail-1.2.4/lib/Horde.php"]
Oct 11 15:00:08 HORDE [error] [] Guest user is not authorised for
Address Book. [pid 16411 on line 791 of
"/data/opt/horde-webmail-1.2.4/lib/Horde/Prefs.php"]
Oct 11 15:00:08 HORDE [error] [imp] Guest user is not authorised for
Address Book. [pid 16411 on line 1706 of
"/data/opt/horde-webmail-1.2.4/lib/Horde.php"]
Oct 11 15:00:08 HORDE [error] [imp] Guest user is not authorised for
Address Book. [pid 16411 on line 791 of
"/data/opt/horde-webmail-1.2.4/lib/Horde/Prefs.php"]
----

However, I neither used the user Guest to login nor in the Horde
configuration (e.g., main or administration user). The user is also not
a valid user within the OS and the mail server.

Does anybody knows whats going wrong here?
I'm thankful for any advise.

All the best, Toralf