[horde] passwd with local /etc/passwd-file how to set up?

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Nov 20 17:26:16 UTC 2009

Quoting Götz Reinicke - IT-Koordinator <goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de>:

> is it possible, to use the passwd http://freshmeat.net/projects/passwd
> feature with the local /etc/passwd file?

While you probably could come up with a way to do so, it isn't meant to
do so directly.  Rather it usually wants something else to modify the
/etc/passwd file on it's behalf.

> If so, how? I don't found an installation info on that.

It has no native driver to update the file directly.  But you
certainly could make it happen with one of the existing scripts
like the procopen or expect scripts.  Or maybe others like the
pine or servuftp or smbpasswd scripts if you have those programs
available.  Or you could connect to a daemon like the poppassd driver.

But, probably you want to start by looking at the procopen script, and/or
the expect script...