[horde] Account admin interface and so on

Niels Dettenbach nd at syndicat.com
Mon Nov 30 07:13:58 UTC 2009

Dear Harry,

i use for that:

 - Horde 3.3
 - Cyrus Suite (cyrus imapd, cyrus pop3d, cyrus admin, cyrus sasl, with SIEVE and IDLED)
 - saslauthd -pam (with pam)
 - EXIM MTA

 - for Account and Email management we use web-cyradm which is very flexible easily to use for our admin users, is ready for virtual hosting (different domains), could hold different admins with different access levels, provides all typical features like flexible aliasing, quota management, auto responders, manage access to each service and much more.

Authentication goes over saslauthd against PAM (pam-mysql), this makes it easy to use servers which have no mysql authentication byself. Just follow the web-cyradm howto / manual step by step as a guide. On your request, for EXIM 4.x i can send you my small optimized EXIM config which works perfectly with that.

It shlould be possible too to authenticate cyrus, exim directly against mysql, but then you loose some typical / useful PAM features.

>From my view Cyrus provides the most out of modern / current email standards and is very robust / fast even under high load.

Exim is small, reliable fast, very flexible and known as secure over many years. Some distributions still selects exim3 when install, i hardly recommend exim 4 as the exim maintainers byself.

May be that helps you,
Good luck,

Niels.

---