[horde] Google Analytics

Simon Brereton simon.brereton at dada.net
Tue May 18 14:49:39 UTC 2010

I want to track everything - time on the site, most used modules, where users are connecting from, etc.

> ...hmmm,
> do you really want to give your users personal data to any obvicious
> third party company?

You mean Google really is evil?  Who knew..  The data - as I understand it - is relatively anonymous.  Sure, you can see connection IPs, but most times that's natted and if any of the users are poping their mail with gmail Google will be getting their data anyway.  Using Horde allows me to at least discourage them from that.

> There are several countries (including ours) which by law not allow
> to give such data to any third party withoput explicite allowance of
> the users (before they go into that application) - even if most
> webmasters didn't know this today...

Ich liebe Deutschland - but as the server is not hosted there, and as there are currently no german users and as I get to set the T&Cs for access, I can cross that bridge as and when.  Thanks though for the heads up!

> Just by interest - why? There are some very good host side open
> source web analytics solutions which btw. are much more exact with
> many parameters (awstats, webalizer etc.)...
>

> but this is just btw...

I trust those less than I trust Google :)  (whom I don't trust at all actually)..

So anyway - will putting it into index.php work, or should it go somewhere else?

Simon