[horde] horde 4 and available features

Mark Chaney lists at macscr.com
Wed Jun 16 22:35:31 UTC 2010

Let me start of with stating that I know horde 4 and IMP 5? isnt stable
yet, nor released, but I have a few questions about its available
feature set.

1) Will/Can it have a integrated CardDav and CalDav server for use for
its primary calendars/contacts? Syncml is just a little to unreliable
(not sure if its the clients or the servers) and I would prefer that it
interact with desktop clients and mobile devices without the need of a
third party plugin. Kind of off topic, but does Outlook2007 and up
support such remote calendars/contacts? Im pretty sure it does, but just
wanted to confirm. I just need to cover my basis with outlook and
thunderbird when it comes to the desktop clients.

2) Hows z-push turning out? Though I am not even sure if I can use it
(legal wise) in the US. Why dont they use z-push/activesync for desktop
clients as well anyway? Ive always found it odd that the mobile syncing
support seemed to be better than the desktop client sync support (just a
general rant, not really specific to horde).

3) Maybe already supported as I though I heard others talk about it for
IMP 4, but can it be integrated with a remote SpamAssassin server for
example so that users can have a junkmail folder and teach the remote SA
server that its spam or ham?

4) Is there any type of archive module/feature for horde/imp that can be
used to archive emails for years and be used for discovery/compliance?
If not, does anyone recommend a third party one that I could use that
includes a gui and is open source as well (some just a slimmed down free
version)?

Ive literally done about 40 to 50 hours worth of research into
commercial and open source solutions and to get the feature set I am
needing and the flexibility to mold it into a user friendly way, I think
the horde project is going to my best bet. I will be looking to purchase
commercial support from a developer on the horde team and design a new
skin/theme for horde that I will donate back to the project (as we all
know the current design is pretty ugly. Ewww, frames).

Thanks for your time,
Mark