[horde] horde 4 and available features

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Jun 17 06:05:58 UTC 2010

Quoting Mark Chaney <lists at macscr.com>:

> Let me start of with stating that I know horde 4 and IMP 5? isnt
> stable yet, nor released, but I have a few questions about its
> available feature set.
>
> 1) Will/Can it have a integrated CardDav and CalDav server for use
> for its primary calendars/contacts?

Caldav server support is a planned feature, yes.

> Kind of off topic, but does Outlook2007 and up support such remote
> calendars/contacts? Im pretty sure it does, but just wanted to
> confirm. I just need to cover my basis with outlook and thunderbird
> when it comes to the desktop clients.

I'm not sure, perhaps someone else on list can answer this.

> 2) Hows z-push turning out? Though I am not even sure if I can use
> it (legal wise) in the US.

ActiveSync support is pretty much finished. There may be some minor
bugs, but it is working very well on a number of tested devices. I
consider it feature complete for what will be in H4.

> Why dont they use z-push/activesync for desktop clients as well
> anyway? Ive always found it odd that the mobile syncing support
> seemed to be better than the desktop client sync support (just a
> general rant, not really specific to horde).
>
> 3) Maybe already supported as I though I heard others talk about it
> for IMP 4, but can it be integrated with a remote SpamAssassin
> server for example so that users can have a junkmail folder and
> teach the remote SA server that its spam or ham?

I personally don't have experience with SA, so I'll let others answer.

> 4) Is there any type of archive module/feature for horde/imp that
> can be used to archive emails for years and be used for
> discovery/compliance? If not, does anyone recommend a third party
> one that I could use that includes a gui and is open source as well
> (some just a slimmed down free version)?

No, nothing to speak of. Just a login task that can rename the sent
mail folder every x interval...at least as far as I know.

> Ive literally done about 40 to 50 hours worth of research into
> commercial and open source solutions and to get the feature set I am
> needing and the flexibility to mold it into a user friendly way, I
> think the horde project is going to my best bet. I will be looking
> to purchase commercial support from a developer on the horde team
> and design a new skin/theme for horde that I will donate back to the
> project (as we all know the current design is pretty ugly. Ewww,
> frames).

Good to hear we will be a good fit, and look forward to working with
you in the future.  As an aside, since you mention your dislike for
the current theme, we do have plans for an overhaul, just nothing to
show at this time.  If you have ideas, please feel free to share them.

--
Mike

--
The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
mrubinsk at horde.org

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A. Einstein