[horde] Horde-4

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sun Aug 15 14:01:21 UTC 2010

Quoting Thomas Spuhler <thomas at btspuhler.com>:

> I am maintaining horde for Mandriva.
> I have a couple of questions:
> Should I consider to put horde-4 into cooker in addition to current h-3?

I'll leave this question to Jan, our release manager, but I'll give
you my input as well: H4, as a whole, is probably stable enough at
this point for knowledgeable people to start using it with the normal
warnings that it is still not yet production ready. Some applications,
like IMP and Kronolith, are actually very solid at this point.  That
being said, this is *not* production ready code, as there are very
likely bugs lurking under the surface, as well as some internal code
changes that still need to be made.

> What is the roadmap for H-4

We actually don't have a single, *official*, roadmap for Horde 4. How
we handle this in the future is something we are in the process of
discussing.  Anyway, there is some information on each of the
application's web pages at http://www.horde.org  (e.g.
http://www.horde.org/horde or http://www.horde.org/kronolith).

There is also (probably more current) information on our wiki
regarding what still needs to be done and/or discussed for Horde 4:
http://wiki.horde.org/Horde4/BCBreaking, and probably a few other
pages that a search for Horde4 should turn up.

> Some of the daily snapshots have two versions, such as horde and horde-
> FRAMEWORK. What is the difference

The snaps that have the FRAMEWORK_3 text in the name are CVS snapshots
of Horde 3 code (e.g., horde-FRAMEWORK_3-2010-08-09.tar.gz is the base
horde package for Horde 3, framework-FRAMEWORK_3-2010-08-09.tar.gz are
the framework libraries for Horde 3).

The snaps named with *.git.tar.gz are the Horde 4 git snapshots.

--
Mike

--
The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
mrubinsk at horde.org

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A. Einstein