[horde] Permission Problem

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Oct 7 13:10:44 UTC 2010

Zitat von Lord_Devi <lorddevi at gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
>    My name is Casey Quibell and I am having a permission problem with
> Horde suddenly.

And what did you change before this started happening?

> When I try to manage my Tasks, Notes, Calendar, or
> Address Book I get permission denied for my user! For example, when I
> click "Manage Task Lists", then "Change Permissions" for my user's (the
> one I am logged in with, and the one I use), a new browser window opens
> up with only the words "permission denied" in it.

This rather sounds like it's coming from the web server. Did you check
the web server logs vs. the Horde logs to see which of those is giving
you that error message?

>    Where does it check to see if I have permission to my own tasks,
> notes, calendar, or address book? This is very surprising, and needless
> to say - extremely detrimental! Our of desperation I thought I might get
> lucky and it might be a Posix permission thing I could fix by simply
> verifying my Maildir in my user's homedir was correct, but this is not
> the case. I have to assume that this data is actually stored in the
> MySQL backend, but do not have the first clue how I might go about
> making sure my user has access to what.
>
>    A little background. I am almost certain what caused this problem in
> the first place is my recent use of the SyncML protocol to try and sync
> my data in Horde with an external client. I am using Genesis-Sync with
> Synevolution to sync the data with Evolution on my Ubuntu 10.04 desktop.
> An interesting point to make, I can still add/delete/modify entries in
> my tasks, notes, calendar, and address book from Evolution using
> SyncML!! But I can not do any such things from the webmail interface
> itself! A little more information: My users are managed from an LDAP
> backend, I do not know how much bearing this might have on things, but I
> figure it is probably worth mentioning anyway!
>
> The biggest things I need to know are:
>    1. How can I fix the permissions to my Tasks, Notes, Calendar, and
> Address Book so I can access them from Horde PHP's interface again.

Where exactly to you get the error message, i.e. accessing which URL?
And is it always only these two words on a white background:
"Permission denied"?

>    2. Why was it that SyncML broke the permissions in the first place.

Nothing. SyncML doesn't have any access to permissions, beside that
permissions are of cource enforced on SyncML requests.

>    3. Can I do anything to prevent these permission problems from
> occurring again? (I am willing to add insecurities to the system to
> assure functionality. Like for example, modifying table or database
> privileges to be less strict.)

Not without knowing what actually causes this.

>    Just to cap off my post here, I'll give a little more detailed
> information regarding the software involved, and their versions.
>
> Horde Server
> ------------
> Linux: CentOS 5.5 (Final)
> UName: Linux perpetrator 2.6.18-194.11.3.el5 #1 SMP Mon Aug 30 16:23:24
> EDT 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> Horde: 1.2.6
> IMAP/POP: Dovecot 1.0.7-7.el5
> SMTP: Postfix 2.3.3-2.1.el5_2
> LDAP: 389-ds 1.2.1-1.el5
>
> Client Machine
> --------------
> Linux: Ubuntu 10.4.1 LTS
> UName: Linux rapine 2.6.32-24-server #43-Ubuntu SMP Thu Sep 16 16:05:42
> UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> Email Client: Evolution 2.28.3-0ubuntu10
> Web Client: Firefox 3.6.10+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1
> SyncML Client: SyncEvolution(syncevolution-evolution) 1:1.0.1-2
>   From: deb http://downloads.syncevolution.org/apt stable main
> SyncML Client Frontend: Genesis Sync 0.6.1-1
>   From: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/genesis-devs/stable/ubuntu lucid
> main
>

>    Thank you very much in advance for any input anyone may have. I have
> tried to be as informative as possible in relating the problem, it's
> history, and any technical details that may be relevant to it's
> diagnosis. If there is anything else I could relate to you to help some
> assistance on fixing this critical problem, please let me know!
>
> Regards,
>    Lord_Devi <Casey Quibell>

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/